FREQUENTYLY ASKED QUESTIONS
AIR DUCT CLEANING
Cleaning your air ducts varies from company to company. Here at SimpliHome we find that is it easier to charge by the number of vents in your home. Some companies charge by the square footage of your home and others by how many rooms you have. Since, there are many different layouts of homes, the best way to charge is by the vent in our opinion.
There are some tell-tale signs that your air ducts need to be cleaned.
- Your vent covers may be collecting dust and debris.
- The air filter in your furnace is needing to be changed more frequently and is very dirty.
- Unpleasant odors may emitted when you turn your furnace or AC on.
- Mold & mildew smells or presence of mold in and around your duct work.
- Insects & rodent droppings in your air ducts.
- Vents may not be blowing air as strong as it should. You may notice weak air flow at registers.
- Heating and cooling costs are higher than usual when comparing year to year.
- Unusual noises in the HVAC system. Your duct work should not make a lot of noise.
- Prior air duct cleaning was performed over 3-5 years ago.
- Home was just build or had a major remodel which resulted in a lot of dust and construction debris.
- Allergies become more common while indoors.
Cleaning your air ducts yourself is possible, but do not recommended it. We never say never or you can’t do something, but it does require high pressured air lines, special attachments, whips and vacuums. Knowledge of how your HVAC system is also a must.
Air ducts should be cleaned every 3-5 years. Sometimes they require more frequent cleaning if you experience severe allergies or asthma!
Good question! Air duct cleaning can be a ripoff if you choose a company that says they can clean your home for $99 or do the job in an hour or two. Most jobs cost around $300 and upwards to $1500 in residential homes. The duct cleaning process should take anywhere from 3-6 hours depending on the age and size of the home.
DRYER VENT CLEANING
Cleaning your dryer vent ducts varies from company to company. Here at SimpliHome we find that is it easier to charge to a flat rate of $109.00
In most cases it will takes us no more than 15-20 minutes. Complications do arise and one was so difficult it took us nearly 2 hours. This was a special case though!
Cleaning your dryer vent ducts yourself is possible. First, you will need to locate your vent, then be able to access it. Determine if cleaning it from the outside or the inside is best. Purchase the brush system that connects to your drill and have fun!
Dryer vents typically need to be cleaned once a year. This is not the case if you have a lot of animals and do a lot of laundry. We would recommend twice a year!
SimpliHome uses 175PSI air line with a special attachment. The airline is inserted into the exterior vent and the air pressure pulls the airline through the vent and expels all the debris. It is pretty cool to watch!